The early New Testament church was made up of smaller, more intimate gatherings. In modern churches we encourage the same with different names like: Cell Group, Home Group, Life Group and Home Church. Bigger churches like ours are continually looking for ways to preserve the intimacy, the family feel and function of a smaller church. At COBC we have chosen the name “Community Group” because one of our goals is to intentionally develop more meaningful relationships, with Christ and with each other, we hope to build “community.”
Getting involved in a Community Group will give you an opportunity to get to know others, and it will give others the chance to get to know you! Together you and your group will be studying God’s Word, developing meaningful relationships and learning to do life together. Presently, COBC has a Community Group meeting just about every night of the week in different areas around Tehachapi. Check out our groups below:
Small Groups for Adults, Men, Women, Teens
Please call the church office at 822-1379 to verify that the small groups listed below are currently meeting or on hiatus.
- Dr. Andy Walker’s Class for Men and Women – 5:00pm in Room 402 at the church (Selected Sundays – call church office.) Going through the New Testament.
- Whitney Sunday Night Married Couples Bible Study – led by Pastor Brent & Jennifer Whitney meets at the home of Peter & Heather Fulks (29861 Pinedale) in BVS @ 6:00pm. Check the Whitney Sunday Night Married Couples Bible Study Facebook group for up-to-date information. You will need a gate pass to enter Bear Valley. OFF FOR SUMMER!
- Hiner’s Bible Study – 7:00pm meets in the Hiner’s Home (22840 Jerry Dr. – 823-1200) – facilitated by Mike Bourcier – studying the book of Exodus.
- Men’s Morning Bible Study with Dr. Andy Walker – 6:00am in Room 402. Going through the New Testament.
- Moms in Prayer – HOS – 8:30am Contact person Mariah. Meets during the school year.
- Men’s Ministry Meeting (monthly) – the Men’s Ministry Meeting Team invites all men to join them the first Tuesday of the month. Matt Sheridan is the contact person @ 289-2089
- DivorceCare – 6:30pm in Room 402 – A friendly, caring group of people who will walk alongside you through one of life’s most difficult experiences. Please call 822-1379 for schedule. Held in Rm 402. Two sessions a year.
- Grief Share – 6:30pm in the Conference Room – A special support group for people grieving the loss of someone close. Two sessions a year.
- College/Career Crossroads Bible Study – meets at various homes @ 7:00pm. Call Nathan Hiner for more details @ 972-3576.
- Adult Community Group – meets at the Hutson’s home at 30121 Jamaica Dunes. Call 821-1619 for a gate pass (Bear Valley) Facilitated by Craig & Anita Bauer. Off for summer
- Biblical Parenting Class – offered a couple of times a year. Call the church office for information..
- Women’s Evening Bible Study – on break for summer.
- Men’s Evening Bible Study with Dr. Andy Walker – 6:00pm in Room 402 @ the church. Going through the New Testament.
- Junior High School Bible Study – meets at the church the same time as AWANA Trek on Wednesdays at 6:00pm (fall, winter and spring). Summer study meets at 10am.
- *NEW Adult Community Group – Unlocking the Mysteries of Genesis Home Group – There’s a new home group starting up! Using the Institute for Creation Research videos, we’ll be Unlocking the Mysteries of Genesis at the home of Gerry and Sharon Davis (Golden Hills) starting June 14 at 6:30pm. Dinner will be provided (gluten-free, organic) Any Questions? Call 342-0198
- Men’s Morning Fellowship – 9:00am at Kelcy’s – facilitated by different Country Oaks Men – Contact person is Irv Batelaan at 822-1149.
- Adult Community Group – 6:30pm at Will and Rhonda Greer’s home in town at 205 W. Valley Blvd. Call 972-6141 for info.
- High School Bible Study meets at 6:30pm at the church. For more info call 972-3576.
- Adult Community Group – 7:00pm at Dennis & Debbie Shyrock’s home in Bear Valley Springs at various homes – 821-4701.
- Women’s Morning Bible Study – Meets at 9:30am in the Chapel September through May – childcare available. Angi Wiggins contact person – 822.1379
How will I know which small group is right for me?
Please check the lists above for the dates, times and locations of our current Community Groups and Bible Studies. Maybe you want to pick a study located close to home or you may want to study a particular topic or book of the Bible. The choice is yours!
Sunday Coffee on the Patio
With the goal of promoting and building community at COBC, the Community Groups coordinate and host a time of coffee and fellowship on Sunday mornings between the 9am and 10:30am worship services in the spring and throughout the summer.