The early New Testament church was made up of smaller, more intimate gatherings. In modern churches we encourage the same with different names like: Cell Group, Home Group, Life Group and Home Church. Bigger churches like ours are continually looking for ways to preserve the intimacy, the family feel and function of a smaller church. At COBC we have chosen the name “Community Group” because one of our goals is to intentionally develop more meaningful relationships, with Christ and with each other, we hope to build “community.”
Getting involved in a Community Group will give you an opportunity to get to know others, and it will give others the chance to get to know you! Together you and your group will be studying God’s Word, developing meaningful relationships and learning to do life together. Presently, COBC has a Community Group meeting just about every night of the week in different areas around Tehachapi. Check out our groups below:
Small Groups for Adults, Men, Women, Teens
Please call the church office at 822-1379 to verify that the small groups listed below are currently meeting or on hiatus.
- Dr. Andy and Amy Walker’s Class – 5:00pm in Room 401 at the church .
- Whitney Sunday Night Married Couples Bible Study – led by Pastor Brent & Jennifer Whitney meets in BVS @ 6:00pm. Check the Whitney Sunday Night Married Couples Bible Study Facebook group for up-to-date information. You will need a gate pass to enter Bear Valley. Starting Hebrews 11 by Paul David Tripp on January 28, 2018.
- Hiner’s Bible Study – 7:00pm meets in the Hiner’s Home (22840 Jerry Dr. – 823-1200) – facilitated by Mike Bourcier – studying the book of Exodus
- NEW Twenties Small Group 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the home of Zach & Emily Douglas in Golden Hills. Studying Philippians. No childcare. Call Zach at 916-778-9006 for info.
- Men’s Morning Bible Study with Dr. Andy Walker – 6:00am in Room 402. Going through the New Testament.
- Moms in Prayer – for Heritage Oak School – 8:30am Contact person Mariah. Meets during the school year.
- Men’s Ministry Meeting (monthly) – the Men’s Ministry Meeting Team invites all men to join them the first Tuesday of the month (except in January and July.) Matt Sheridan is the contact person @ 289-2089
- DivorceCare – 6:30pm in Room 402 – A friendly, caring group of people who will walk alongside you through one of life’s most difficult experiences. Please call 822-1379 for schedule. Held in Rm 402. Two sessions a year.
- Grief Share – 6:00pm in the Conference Room – A special support group for people grieving the loss of someone close. Two sessions a year.
- College/Career Crossroads Bible Study – meets at various homes @ 7:00pm. Call Nathan Hiner for more details @ 972-3576.
- Women’s Evening Bible Study – Women of the Bible 6:00pm in the Discipleship Place
- Amato’s Small Group in Golden Hills 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the home of the Amatos – 24501 Mariposa. Studying Paul Tripp’s Faith – Hebrews 11. Call 822-0114 for info.
- Adult Community Group – meets 6:30 pm at the Gadzia’s home at 30120 Pinedale. Call 993-1516 for a gate pass (Bear Valley) Facilitated by Craig & Anita Bauer.
- Adult Community Group – meets at 6:30pm in the Golden Hills home of Anthony & Sarah Ursua’s at 21713 Hidden Canyon Drive. (Call Stephanie Smith for info @ 972-1395.)
- Moms in Prayer – for Golden Hills School – 9am Contact person Diane Howard. Meets during the school year.
- Moms in Prayer – for College/Career age “kids” – 10am Contact person Sally Davis. Meets during the school year.
- Biblical Parenting Class – offered a couple of times a year. Call the church office for information..
- Men’s Evening Bible Study with Dr. Andy Walker – 6:00pm in Room 402 @ the church. Going through the New Testament.
- Junior High School Bible Study – meets at the church the same time as AWANA Trek on Wednesdays at 6:00pm (fall, winter and spring). Summer study meets at 10am.
- Men’s Morning Fellowship – 8:45am at Mike Mason’s home in town – facilitated by different Country Oaks Men – Contact Mike at 805.630.1198 for more information.
- Women’s Prayer for Country Oaks Baptist Church @ 9am in the Discipleship Room – contact person Angi Wiggins at 822-1379 – meets year round
- Adult Community Group – 6:30pm at Will and Rhonda Greer’s home in town at 813 Elm Street. Call 972-6141 for info.
- High School Bible Study meets at 6:30pm at the church. For more info call 972-3576.
- Adult Community Group – 7:00pm at Dennis & Debbie Shyrock’s home in Bear Valley Springs at various homes – call 557-1139 for more info.
- Women’s Morning Bible Study – Meets at 9:30am in the Chapel September through May – childcare available. Pat See contact person.
How will I know which small group is right for me?
Please check the lists above for the dates, times and locations of our current Community Groups and Bible Studies. Maybe you want to pick a study located close to home or you may want to study a particular topic or book of the Bible. The choice is yours!
Sunday Coffee on the Patio
With the goal of promoting and building community at COBC, the Community Groups coordinate and host a time of coffee and fellowship on Sunday mornings between the 9am and 10:30am worship services in the spring and throughout the summer.